September 30, 2009

Review {of sorts} of: Blood Orange Brewing by Laura Childs

Social darling Delaine Dish is throwing a lavish Candlelight Concert to raise funds to restore a run-down Victorian home-and Theodosia Browning is more than happy to help out with tea and tasty treats from the Indigo Tea Shop.

Unfortunately, the unveiling of Theo's opulent spread proves to be far from grand after retired CEO and beloved politico Duke Wilkes falls to the floor with a jagged piece of metal protruding from his neck.

When the Widow Wilkes begs Theo to apply her sleuthing skills, she can't refuse. But her investigation opens up a simmering pot of shady politics and personal payback, and Theo soon finds herself in a situation stickier than any jam she's ever served.


Warning there is a bit a rant headed your way if you continue to read this post.

This series... I love the setting, a tea shop in Charleston, South Carolina's historical district. I love the characters of Theodosia, Drayton, Haley, Delanie, and Theo's dog Earl Grey. The recipes sound YUM (I haven't tried any yet). The plots themselves are solid.

So now you're saying to yourself, "So what's your problem chick?" Here in ONE word is my problem: proofreading! There seems to be a serious lack of proofreading with this series. It's been an issue that keeps cropping up throughout the series. Blood Orange Brewing is the 7th book and it's still happening. Just one example that is still stuck in my craw (2 months later) is on one page Theo pulls a pen out of her purse and on the very next page when she uses it, it has somehow morphed itself into a pencil!

There are no misspelled words, no awkward breaks. It seems to me that they are being put through an automated spellchecker but not being checked for errors. It just irritates the HECK out of me! I wish I could say that I will continue with the series despite this issue, but I can't. I don't know if I will.

Title: Blood Orange Brewing (A Tea Shop Mystery, #7)
Author: Laura Childs
ISBN: 9780425208076
Pages: 304
Published by: Berkley (April 4, 2006)
Genre(s): Fiction, Mystery, Series
Grade: C What does this grade mean?

Buy Blood Orange Brewing (A Tea Shop Mystery, #7) by Laura Childs:
IndieBound {} Powell's {} Amazon

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

Thank you for letting me know your thoughts and that you were here. I read all of your comments. If you are commenting on a post that is from 14 or more days ago, your comment will have to be approved before it appears.

I try to respond to all comments. I will respond either right here in the comment section of this post, on your own blog or through email. =)

~Kylee

IMPORTANT: Kylee's Journal Disclosure

In accordance with the FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kylee's Journal would like everyone to know that the books reviewed on my blog were either provided to me by the publisher/the author for free OR were purchased by me OR were borrowed from the library. Books recieved for free do not get special treatment, if I don't like something, I either will not finish it (DNF) or I will struggle through to the end; both get reviews posted here.
~KyleeJ