October 6, 2009

Review {of sorts} of: Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Books like Lord of the Flies are hard for me to 'review'. They're classics. Most of us read them in high school, often with a teacher prompting us about themes, symbols and such.

Not me! I don't share this with many, but I dropped out of high school in my junior year. (I did get my GED a couple of years later, but still.) Lord of the Flies was not a book I got to read with the benefit of a prompting English teacher.

That aside, I really enjoyed Lord of the Flies. I read it and then the Cliffs Notes version, just to get a handle on themes, symbols. As I've already said, I find it hard (and a little unnecessary?) to do a 'review' of books that have been around as long as Lord of the Flies. I did enjoy reading it. I felt for Piggy and Ralph, disliked Jack and his crew.

My next 'classic' read will be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
Lord of the Flies remains as provocative today as when it was first published in 1954, igniting passionate debate with its startling, brutal portrait of human nature. Though critically acclaimed, it was largely ignored upon its initial publication. Yet soon it became a cult favorite among both students and literary critics who compared it to J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye in its influence on modern thought and literature.

Labeled a parable, an allegory, a myth, a morality tale, a parody, a political treatise, even a vision of the apocalypse,Lord of the Flies has established itself as a true classic. And now readers can own it in a beautifully designed hardcover edition worthy of its stature.
Title: Lord of the Flies
Author: William Golding
ISBN: 9780399529207
Pages: 336
Published by: Perigee Trade (October 28th 2003 (first published 1954))
Genre(s): Fiction, Classic Lit, Young Adult
Source: I borrowed this book from my local library.
Grade: B+ What does this grade mean?

Buy Lord of the Flies by William Golding:
IndieBound {} Powell's {} Amazon

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

Thank you for letting me know your thoughts and that you were here. I read all of your comments. If you are commenting on a post that is from 14 or more days ago, your comment will have to be approved before it appears.

I try to respond to all comments. I will respond either right here in the comment section of this post, on your own blog or through email. =)

~Kylee

IMPORTANT: Kylee's Journal Disclosure

In accordance with the FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kylee's Journal would like everyone to know that the books reviewed on my blog were either provided to me by the publisher/the author for free OR were purchased by me OR were borrowed from the library. Books recieved for free do not get special treatment, if I don't like something, I either will not finish it (DNF) or I will struggle through to the end; both get reviews posted here.
~KyleeJ