March 18, 2010

Review of: Mr Darcy Broke My Heart by Beth Pattillo

Claire Prescott is a sensible woman who believes in facts and figures, not fairy tales. But when she agrees to present a paper to a summer symposium at Oxford on her ailing sister's behalf, Claire finds herself thrown into an adventure with a gaggle of Jane Austen-loving women all on the lookout for their Mr. Darcy. Claire isn't looking for Mr. Anyone. She's been dating Neil -- a nice if a bit negligent -- sports fanatic. But when a tall, dark and dashing stranger crosses her path, will the staid Claire suddenly discover her inner romantic heroine? Her chance meeting with a mysterious woman who claims to have an early version of Austen's Pride and Prejudice -- in which Lizzie ends up with someone other than Fitzwilliam Darcy -- leads to an astounding discovery about the venerated author's own struggle to find the right hero for Lizzie Bennett. Neil's unexpected arrival in Oxford complicates Claire's journey to finding her own romantic lead.

Claire meets some interesting people when she takes her sister Missy's place in a seminar held in Oxford, England. The seminar in on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Missy has written a paper for the seminar that Claire is to present during her time in Oxford.

I fell in love with the setting and with the characters. My favorite is an elderly woman named Harriet Dalrymple. Harriet lives in a somewhat ramshackle cottage a short walk from the Christ Church section of Oxford. When Claire goes to Harriet's cottage for the first time she is shown something that will change the direction of her life. That "something" is a batch of old paper that may be the original version of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. This version is entitled First Impressions

I've been struggling for weeks about what else to say. I'll just add that while I enjoyed Mr Darcy Broke My Heart I think I'll be staying away from Austen-inspired books for the foreseeable future.


Title: Mr Darcy Broke My Heart
Author: Beth Pattillo
ISBN: 9780824947934
Pages: 272
Published by: Ideals Publications (February 10, 2010)
Genre(s): Fiction
Source: I received an ARC of this book from Phenix & Phenix Literary Publicists for review. Thanks, Amy!
Challenges:
tiny - 100+


Other reviews:

2 comments:

  1. I know you shouldnt judge a book by its cover but this one really is lovely, ive added it to my wish list

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for letting me know your thoughts and that you were here. I read all of your comments. If you are commenting on a post that is from 14 or more days ago, your comment will have to be approved before it appears.

I try to respond to all comments. I will respond either right here in the comment section of this post, on your own blog or through email. =)

~Kylee

IMPORTANT: Kylee's Journal Disclosure

In accordance with the FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kylee's Journal would like everyone to know that the books reviewed on my blog were either provided to me by the publisher/the author for free OR were purchased by me OR were borrowed from the library. Books recieved for free do not get special treatment, if I don't like something, I either will not finish it (DNF) or I will struggle through to the end; both get reviews posted here.
~KyleeJ