April 5, 2010

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next.


In this first of the Sookie Stackhouse (also known as the Southern Vampire) series we meet single barmaid Sookie, her brother Jason, their Gran (Adele Stackhouse), some of Sookie's friends (Sam, Arleen, Lafayette) as well as some of the very colorful residents of Bon Temps, Louisianna.


I became so involved in Sookie's world that I went to the library and borrowed #s 2-6 and in the course of one week I read 1-5. I'm a little peeved about the death of one person in particular in Dead Until Dark, but seeing how it's played out through the next books, I can sort of see how it may have been necessary. But it still makes me sad.

Title: Dead Until Dark
Author: Charlaine Harris
ISBN:9780441008537
Pages: 292
Published by: Ace (May 2001)
Categories/Genre: Fiction, Series, Vampire, Romance, Suspense
Source: This book was in my own stash.
Grade: A- What does this grade mean?

Challenges: tiny - 100+


Books in this series:
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)**
Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2)
Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3)
Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4)
Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)
Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6)
All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7)
From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8)
Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)
Dead in the Family  (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)
A Touch of Dead Contains 5 short stories that fit in between some of the books in this series.
**This review.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this review, Id ended up giving up on these books at around book 7 but will proberly read the last one when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for letting me know your thoughts and that you were here. I read all of your comments. If you are commenting on a post that is from 14 or more days ago, your comment will have to be approved before it appears.

I try to respond to all comments. I will respond either right here in the comment section of this post, on your own blog or through email. =)

~Kylee

IMPORTANT: Kylee's Journal Disclosure

In accordance with the FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kylee's Journal would like everyone to know that the books reviewed on my blog were either provided to me by the publisher/the author for free OR were purchased by me OR were borrowed from the library. Books recieved for free do not get special treatment, if I don't like something, I either will not finish it (DNF) or I will struggle through to the end; both get reviews posted here.
~KyleeJ