February 4, 2010

Read Aloud Thursday #1

Hope Is the Word is the home of Read Aloud Thursday, which is a weekly meme in which bloggers share their families’ read-alouds of the week.



Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)
From Little House - Big AdventureLaura Ingalls's story begins in 1871 in a little log cabin on the edge of the Big Woods of Wisconsin. Four-year-old Laura lives in the little house with her Pa, her Ma, her sisters Mary and Carrie, and their trusty dog, Jack.
Pioneer life is sometimes hard, since the family must grow or catch all their own food as they get ready for the cold winter. But it is also exciting as Laura and her folks celebrate Christmas with homemade toys and treats, do the spring planting, bring in the harvest, and make their first trip into town. And every night they are safe and warm in their little house, with the happy sound of Pa's fiddle sending Laura and her sisters off to sleep.
And so begins Laura Ingalls Wilder's beloved story of a pioneer girl and her family. The nine Little House books have been cherished by generations of readers as both a unique glimpse into America's frontier past and a heartwarming, unforgettable story.

Reaghan and I have been working on this book for 2 1/2 weeks. I have a (personal) goal of reading to her for at least 20 minutes/day. We have been falling short of that. In January we only read 260 out of a potential 620 minutes. Much too few.

I didn't develop a real desire to read for pleasure until my early teens. When I did start it was mainly Agatha Christie and Stephen King. So I missed out on the joys of classic children's series' like Little House, Anne of Green Gables, The Chronicles of Narnia, and A Wrinkle in Time. All things I am attempting to rectify (with the exception of the Narnia books which I read in 2008).

Reaghan (and I) were a little grossed out at the beginning of Little House in the Big Woods. There was talk of playing with a pig bladder, eating roast pig's tail, and other icky things. Luckily that seems to only last for the first 2 or 3 chapters. We are now on page 156 of 238. For February we are 60/60 (not counting today, Thursday, because our typical reading time is @ 7:30pm, right after Jeopardy!)

5 comments:

  1. Oh, you've just hit our sweet spot--Little House on the Prairie! My girls LOVE, LOVE , LOVE it!! (If you've hung around Read Aloud Thursday very long, you already know that.)

    Kudos to you for keeping up with the minutes you read and being determined to keep it up!

    I'm so glad you played this week! I hope you come back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a favorite in our household too. Congrats on your reading goals and persistence! I've been reading too little each day, too... Trying to improve that.

    Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it so fun to read childhood classics for the first time? I hear you. This week I highlighted a classic *I* had never read growing up and which we read aloud.

    I enjoyed reading your post and your children's impressions of the book as you got started!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter Grace and I read the first four Little House books together - just she and I. In a house of 5 kids, this was a special time for us -- Good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the beginning of the book is quite descriptive. I read Big Woods aloud to my daughter in January. She likes wearing her prairie bonnet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for letting me know your thoughts and that you were here. I read all of your comments. If you are commenting on a post that is from 14 or more days ago, your comment will have to be approved before it appears.

I try to respond to all comments. I will respond either right here in the comment section of this post, on your own blog or through email. =)

~Kylee

IMPORTANT: Kylee's Journal Disclosure

In accordance with the FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kylee's Journal would like everyone to know that the books reviewed on my blog were either provided to me by the publisher/the author for free OR were purchased by me OR were borrowed from the library. Books recieved for free do not get special treatment, if I don't like something, I either will not finish it (DNF) or I will struggle through to the end; both get reviews posted here.
~KyleeJ