February 1, 2010

Review of: Beauvallet by Georgette Heyer (DNF)

Sir Nicholas Beauvallet has never been known to resist a challenge. When a captured galleon yields the lovely Dominica, he vows to return her and her father to Spain. No sooner has he done so than he proposes an even more reckless venture — he will take Dominica as his bride even if he must enter the lion’s den.


I really wanted to like Beauvallet. I have previously read two other Georgette Heyer books. Both of those were mysteries, but it wasn't the romance that I objected to in Beauvallet. I didn't get too far into the story. I did give Beauvallet 20%, which is what I give any book to "hook" me.

What prevented me from enjoying and continuing Beauvallet was the language. It is set in Elizabethan times and is written that way. I have a hard time with things written in this style. If I'd known ahead of time that it was written this way I would not have requested this particular Georgette Heyer book from Sourcebooks. 

If this type of book is something you enjoy or can 'deal with', please check out the list of Georgette Heyer books that Sourcebooks has released and will release in the future!


Title: Beauvallet
Author: Georgette Heyer
ISBN: 9781402219511
Pages: 304
Published by: Sourcebooks Casablanca (January 1st 2010 (first published 1929))
Genre(s): Fiction, Historical Fiction, Romance
Source:  Sourcebooks provided me with a copy of this book for review.

Challenges: none

Other reviews:
Eva @ A Striped Armchair (first paragraph below the blockquote)

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

Thank you for letting me know your thoughts and that you were here. I read all of your comments. If you are commenting on a post that is from 14 or more days ago, your comment will have to be approved before it appears.

I try to respond to all comments. I will respond either right here in the comment section of this post, on your own blog or through email. =)

~Kylee

IMPORTANT: Kylee's Journal Disclosure

In accordance with the FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kylee's Journal would like everyone to know that the books reviewed on my blog were either provided to me by the publisher/the author for free OR were purchased by me OR were borrowed from the library. Books recieved for free do not get special treatment, if I don't like something, I either will not finish it (DNF) or I will struggle through to the end; both get reviews posted here.
~KyleeJ