March 11, 2009

Review of: The Smart One

Author: Ellen Meister
ISBN: 9780061129629
Pages: 384
Published by: Avon A (August 2008)
Genre(s): Mystery, ChickLit, Humor
Grade: B+
Challenge(s): 100+ Reading Challenge - Read 'n Review '09



When I first got this book I was excepting your typical chick-lit, which I enjoy now and then. I personally need to read something light and fluffy after something heavy and dragging just to get my head back on straight. The Smart One was perfect for that. Up until the industrial drum was discovered in the neighbors basement. It is a great read! Bev, Clare and Joey are really funny (though I don't think Clare realizes how funny she is).

There are elements of quite a few genres in The Smart One. Definitely chick-lit, but also, mystery, romance, family strife, humor, and suspense. In my opinion, any fan of chick-lit or romance will really enjoy The Smart One by Ellen Meister. Below is the blurb from the back of the book.

Bev is the Smart One, who finally leaves her artistic ambitions in chalk dust (and her humor-impaired husband in the arms—and legs—of his nubile protégée) to become a schoolteacher. Clare is the Pretty One, who married well and seems to be living a designer version of the suburban dream. Joey is the Wild One, struggling to stay clean and sober now that she's used up her fifteen minutes of fame as a one-hit-wonder rock star.
They love each other but mix like oil, water, and hundred-proof gin . . . a combination that threatens to combust over family tensions, suspected infidelities, a devastating accident, a stunning confession, and the sudden reappearance of their handsome, now all-grown-up former neighbor, Kenny Waxman, who's back in town making his mark as a TV comedy writer.
It seems they'll never understand where their differences begin and their own destructive tendencies end. Then it happens: the sisters discover a decades-old body stuffed inside an industrial drum and begin a bold, heartbreaking, and sometimes hilarious journey that will either bring them together . . . or tear them apart for good.
Renee Giroux at IJustFinished sent me a copy of The Smart One for review. Thank you, Renee.

Buy THE SMART ONE @ IndieBound

Buy THE SMART ONE @ Amazon

1 comment:

  1. I read this one too for a book tour and thought it was a chic lit too when I read it! LOL

    My review's here: http://tbfreviews.net/2008/08/08/the-smart-one

    Farrah from The Book Faery Reviews
    http://tbfreviews.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for letting me know your thoughts and that you were here. I read all of your comments. If you are commenting on a post that is from 14 or more days ago, your comment will have to be approved before it appears.

I try to respond to all comments. I will respond either right here in the comment section of this post, on your own blog or through email. =)

~Kylee

IMPORTANT: Kylee's Journal Disclosure

In accordance with the FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kylee's Journal would like everyone to know that the books reviewed on my blog were either provided to me by the publisher/the author for free OR were purchased by me OR were borrowed from the library. Books recieved for free do not get special treatment, if I don't like something, I either will not finish it (DNF) or I will struggle through to the end; both get reviews posted here.
~KyleeJ